"To help people connect or reconnect with our Lord and build a lifetime of discipleship".
In 2010, Liberty celebrated 200 years of worship and service on the banks of the Olentangy River.
In 1810, eight members of the Thomas & Sarah Cellar extended family, plus Leonard Monroe, organized Liberty Presbyterian Church. For its first 26 years, Liberty shared a pastor and Session with the Presbyterian congregations in Delaware and Radnor.
In 1820, Thomas' sons George and John built the wood-frame meeting house that is still used as our chapel (it is the oldest continuously-used worship building in Delaware County), situated beside the settlers' cemetery. Liberty became a stand-alone congregation in 1836.Hebrews 12:1-2
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, ... let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith."
For most of its history, Liberty has been a small, quiet church situated in a stable farming community (being recognized twice as a "Rural Church of Distinction").
By the late 1960s, the growth of Columbus' suburbs began to impact the church; the congregation continued to increase over the next three decades, culminating in the building of our Barn sanctuary (1995), which changed Liberty into a large regional church. Embracing, integrating and shaping our fast-changing community is Liberty’s great opportunity over the next twenty-five years.
As we look forward to our third century, Liberty is committed to deepening our Christian discipleship particularly in the areas of mission, ministry with children & youth, and adult spiritual growth.